Do Security Signs Actually Deter Crime?
Yes, security signs can deter crime. A study by the University of North Carolina found that 25% of burglars would walk away from a home that had security signs on the property with no further investigation. This is because security signs send a message to potential criminals that the home is protected and that there is a risk of being caught.
However, it is important to note that security signs are not a foolproof deterrent. Some criminals will still target homes with security signs, especially if they are desperate or have a lot to gain. Additionally, security signs can only deter crime if they are visible and well-maintained. If the signs are faded or obscured, they will not be as effective.
In addition to security signs, there are a number of other things that you can do to deter crime, such as:
- Install a security system
- Get a dog
- Keep your doors and windows locked
- Trim bushes and trees around your home so that criminals cannot hide
- Install motion-sensor lights
- Be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity to the police
By taking these steps, you can make your home a less attractive target for criminals.